Our Company History and Timeline
Our story begins in 1919, when John Doolittle began manufacturing the Doolittle Doodle Pad along the north bank of the Chicago River in the city’s downtown area. After a customer suggested that his doodle pad would make a good calendar item, Mr. Doolittle added lines and dates to the pages, and the Doolittle Calendar Company was born.
At some point, the company — still located in the Chicago area — was renamed the House of Doolittle®. In 1978, Ron Stavoe purchased the company from the Doolittle family. Under new management, the company added appointment books, desk pads and wall calendars, introducing attractive new colors, textures and graphics. Within a few years, the new owner — a true pioneer — began to think about making the company’s products in a more environmentally responsible way. And the rest is history!
- 1988 Decision made to produce quality products using recycled paper
- 1989 Introduced the first recycled paper desk pad calendar
- 1990 All House of Doolittle® products made with recycled paper (10% post-consumer)
- 1991 Converted to recycled cover materials and book wire
- 1992 All printing done with soy inks
- 1993 Increased post-consumer content of all paper to 30%
- 2003 Landscapes™ Series introduced with 100% post-consumer paper
- 2005 Earthscapes™ Series introduced with 100% post-consumer paper
- 2009 ALL House of Doolittle® white paper products are:
- Made using 100% post-consumer, processed chlorine-free (PCF), FSC® (C105969)--certified paper
- Printed with soy inks
- Made in the USA
Our Company Today
House of Doolittle® now calls the Village of Arlington Heights home. This suburb is conveniently located 25 miles northwest of downtown Chicago and approximately 12 miles from O’Hare International Airport. All manufacturing and support functions take place in our 80,000 sq. ft. facility.
In addition to our 100% recycled line of calendar products for the office, promotional and collegiate markets, House of Doolittle® offers bindery, collating and finishing services so your printed products always look professional.
Making a Difference
Our green commitment goes beyond the manufacturing of recycled products. We recycle all plastics, paper, boxes, metals and electronics used in our facility. Plus, House of Doolittle® contributes 5% of its profits to organizations helping to preserve the environment.
We also aim to improve the lives of others in our communities. Our company proudly supports breast cancer research by donating 5% of our net profits from the sales of our “pink” products to this cause.
With House of Doolittle® products, you’re not just planning for a day, week, month or even a year — you’re preparing for the future.